Reportpro 3 and windows 10

We encourage new members to introduce themselves here. Get to know one another and share your interests.
HeikoP

Post by HeikoP »

Hi Wolfgang,

i agree that if SxS runs save, it´s a great benefit.

But on the other hand i can unsterstand Dick very well, when he says that he doesn´t like it.

In our former installations we used regsvr32 and we registrated rprt309.and that did run very good, even from a network share! But the overhead was always the registration process of rprt309.dll

But now with SxS we are facing a new problem with only a few customers, what is really weird and not solved yet. If we start our application twice, it throws an error message, that there is a problem with sidebyside registration. BUT: The THIRD time it RUNS!!! That is when the Exe is on a network share. On a Local drive, this doesn´t happen. If you copy the exe and it´s dll´s again over the network sharee, it could happen, that it runs fine for a while, and after a week or so it throws the error again, for 2 times. It´s really weird. We already thought of antivirus software. But we couldn´t find out any similar things. This problem concerns only about 2 percent from 550 Customers and It´s a VO 2.8 application. But the component that is concerned is a self made c# component that is used by the vo application, In this case it´s not reportpro´s fault. It is very diffucult to find out what the problem is and sxstrace doesn´t help very much in this case, bebause it doesn´t tell you what the error is, only in what component the error happens.

Greetings from Germany

Heiko
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Heiko,
yes, I know the problem with the non-starting exe from a network share, I've seen it on a customers machine.
In my eyes this is not a heavy problem because it is occurring only when starting the application, and when the user retries, it works again. So the users don't loose any data, and only a few seconds every time when that occurs.
So I consider it more a "Schönheitsfehler" than a real problem.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Hollo2712

Post by Hollo2712 »

Hello Heiko,

I hesitated to do this things because never used sidbyside an dhave no idea what this tool makes and for what it is designated.
And for my opinion its clearly a problem of some Win10 Update to destroy some registry - and now I have the problem to detect what has changed. Fro over a Year my application worked fine with ReportPro - and suddenly it didn't work anymore.

The best is: The ReportPro application still works. But that is not the way, I want to use it.

The registration via regsvr32 rprt309.dll fails with the message, that this DLL is not designed to be registered. Seems that one of the former registration entrys is not working anymore.
Is it possible to check these entries or to unregister this DLL completely?

Greetings

Horst
HeikoP

Post by HeikoP »

Hello Horst,

the Reportpro.exe itself works, because it doesn´t use rprt309.dll. It´s made with classmate and reportpro3.x directly.

I really wonder why you can´t reregister rprt309.dll. Do you have local administrative rights? Are you on a network share? if yes, try the following: Open a cmd-shell as administrator, change to the network drive where rprt309.dll is located. Enter "regsvr32 rprt309.dll". Show us the error, if some is thrown.

Greetings Heiko
robert

Post by robert »

Guys,
You can also use ReportPro 3 without registering the DLL as Com component.
I have created a special "wrapper DLL" that exposes something that looks like the Rp3 ActiveX object but works directly with the RpRt309.DLL and does not use COM.
I'll lookup this code over the weekend and will upload it on Monday.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Robert and others,
this is a great notice!
From my own experience I can say that this works very well!
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
HeikoP

Post by HeikoP »

Hello Robert,

thank you very much for this!

Heiko