Zip Files >2Gb in VO application

Public support forum for peer to peer support with related to the Visual Objects and Vulcan.NET products
NickFriend

Post by NickFriend »

Hi Fab,

We're edging towards a complete replacement with FabZip. Two questions:
1. Looking on your website, I found an old news item about FabZip from 2006 where you say that it's stuck with a 2Gb limit due to the underlying components, and that there's no solution. Checking the latest download, I see the Zipdll.dll and Unzdll.dll files are dated 2004... so presumably are still the same ones as when you decided 2Gb was the limit. But of course you've just tested it now with >2Gb. Not sure what to make of that ;-)
2. We need progress bars with such big time consuming processes - does FabZip support this?

Thanks

Nick
ArneOrtlinghaus

Post by ArneOrtlinghaus »

In Wikipedia under
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_(file_format)
is a good article about the limitations of the ZIP format and Zip 64 bit extensions.

One of my colleagues told me that the Dotnet framework zip facilities should be able to use the ZIP 64 Bit format also when started by a 32 bit process. But at least Windows Vista is needed.

Arne
NickFriend

Post by NickFriend »

Hi Arne,

Thanks for the info!

Nick
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Nick,
I can send you all the AEFs I've used in order to proceed to test after your message :
I had to make some corrections in order to support 2Gb limit : I was using WORD/LONG at sensible offset calculation places, and it was crashing my own code, not the Unzip/Zip DLLs

The lib comes in 2 flavors : GUI or NoGui
In both versions, you can register to some events,that will give you progress info; The GUI sample app is using that with progress Bars, so you can have a look.

I'm not sure to have your email adress : Can you send me a mail to fabrice at xsharp.eu ?
I will then send you all the files.

Cheers,
Fab
XSharp Development Team
fabrice(at)xsharp.eu
ArneOrtlinghaus

Post by ArneOrtlinghaus »

I cannot resist adding my comments:
If it crashed at arriving 2GB when using LONG then it should crash again at 4 GB using DWORD...

Arne
NickFriend

Post by NickFriend »

But that gives us 2Gb of breathing space whilst we replace the whole application with it's new .Net version!!!

Nick