Synchronizing code changes between users on different location without Github?

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Fabrice,

After checking the -limited- documentation from Gogs I have found no way to install it on a shared server. Everywhere there's a set of commands I have to enter and one thing you can not do on shared servers is entering commands or changing the file 'hosts' or something like that. RPI3 may work but that's too much trouble. I'll search a bit further, maybe there's another solution.

If I don't find anything better I consider writing a small application which just collects the files with a changed date, zip & send them and just update the project on the other system. That is a bit of work but trying to set up any of the existing systems is too. I think I spent days before I got my Tortoise/Subversion working a few years ago, understanding more or less what it was doing until I found out it caused more trouble than it gave benefits.

Dick
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi DIck,

maybe the best option would be to setup this software on an internal server and make it available through a VPN or a portwarding to the people that works outside.

Wolfgang

P.S. for our company I have decided to buy a GitHub account. This service is so important to Microsoft that they will not abbandon it the next years - and nothing is forever
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
MathiasHakansson

Post by MathiasHakansson »

Don't forget to value the things you get with git (or scc, or Subversion).

* All changes can be reviewed by others and the code before and after can be compared.
* "Syncronization" is on character/row level instead of file level.
* Allows you do divide your work in branches.
- Test and code review developed features before merging to the main branch.
- Simultanious development of different features does not affect each other or the main branch until you want to.
* Store released versions in release branches and release service patches if nessecary.

Me and my coworkers would be in serious trouble if we did not have these features.

/Mathias
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Mathias,

Originally I experimented with Visual Source Safe. It was terrible. But I see I am not the only one who thinks that:
"Visual SourceSafe: Microsoft's Source Destruction System"; see http://www.highprogrammer.com/alan/wind ... esafe.html.

Then I tried SVN/Tortoise. It was terrible. I lost code using it. Half of my programming time I was fixing corrupt revisions or damaged repositories and then I was the only one using it! So I decided to leave it unused.

I am now trying to setup Bitbucket. It seems to work but it has it's problems as well. First I had to chose between Mercurial or Git. According to several sites the latter has more cryptic and incomprehensible commands. Well, that definitely sounded to me as something Microsoft likes to buy.

I nevertheless have chosen to start with Git as this seems to be supported out of the box in VS. And I can always convert it to Mercurial later if I want. After a while I hope to see if for this the advantages are more than the disadvantages.

The way our team works makes the system less urgent and the advantages less important. But hopefully it works and saves some time.

See also my new post.

Dick
MathiasHakansson

Post by MathiasHakansson »

Hi Dick,

we started out using Subversion, and that worked ok. Like you said you sometimes had to reconstruct the sourcefile manually från two different change sets.
After that we have been using Microsoft standard built into tfs (Visual source safe?). This works quite well for us. It manages to merge almost all changes. Image files changes cannot be merged if it has been changed by two different users at the same time, but thats expected. You have go through your merge conflicts thoroughly if different users has changed the same row.

Each change set is associated with its bug or backlog item, so if you annotate (show change set for each code line) you can see in what context each code row was added.

We are planning to switch to online git, but have been have been stopped by network security problems. Some kind of problem with AD:s that had to be syncronized. The benefit with git would be to smaller memory footprint of branches (locally and on the server, which in our case is a big deal, mostly locally as we keep running out of disk space), easier to work off line, and some interesting views (and probably more).

If there are more than one developer in the project you get great benefits of adopting a branching strategy.

/Mathias