A bit rusty, could use some help getting started.

This forum is meant for examples of X# code.

TerryB1

Post by TerryB1 »

Hi Dick

Someone else's FoxPro - a challenge to say the least - and something I'd be reluctant to take on.
It amazes me that some government depts. take the principle "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" to extremes.

Good luck.

Terry
Dick Freeman

Post by Dick Freeman »

It shouldn't be too horrible. It opens a dbf, allows some editing, logs the date and time of the edit, and saves. It might spit out some totals, by date. Now... if I could only open the dbf and see the data.... I was hoping that would be fairly obvious, but no.
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Dick,

unfortunately the X# runtime that permits to access DBF files is not yet ready, but you could try to use ADO.NET like Danilo proposed in another thread (in Italian language - but the code should be understandable: https://www.xsharp.eu/forum/italian/600-video-tutorial-xsharp?start=5

Unfortunately I'm very short on time these days so I cannot prepare a sample for you.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
FFF

Post by FFF »

Dick,
apart from waiting a bit ;) for X# runtime & drivers to materialize, you could try to find the demo version of Vulcan, and use their runtime & rdd-driver to brigde the gap.
Would mean, instead of the basic form sample, jump to the VN tab of the samples and make a Standard MDI sample. This let's you handle dbfs out of the box - sure, it "restricts" you to the old VO-UI, but this has served a lot of folks for the last 15 years well enough.
To get your, as i understand, not to sophisticated FP app functionality to run in .net environment, this would certainly be the fastest move...

Karl
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.20, X#2.20.0.3)
Dick Freeman

Post by Dick Freeman »

I will try to find a demo version of Vulcan. When you say "wait a bit", how long might that be? If it's only a few weeks or even a couple months then I could probably put my project on hold. If it might be years, then I have to find another solution.

My co-worker suggested exporting the .dbf and then importing it into sql. I haven't done that before, but if it is a reasonable option then I could try it. That's probably the better option in the long run.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Dick,

It's somewhere between several weeks and a few months. But since it's a new app that you are creating and you do not need compatibility for existing code, I think what the guys suggested about using one of the existing .Net libraries for dbf access is a very good idea.

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team
chris(at)xsharp.eu