new compiler version 1.1

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
robert

new compiler version 1.1

Post by robert »

Phil,

That is a really strange image. I have never seen that. I am not sure if this is related to our work...

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Phil Hepburn

new compiler version 1.1

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Robert,

Yes, I thought it strange too. No probs however, I will keep working and plugging away at my research for Cologne.

If I come across anything I think will help you make X# and VS integration better then I will report it back to you.

Meanwhile my Generics is going quite well. I have a couple of small issues / questions I will ask under a different thread.

Cheers,
Phil.
Phil Hepburn

new compiler version 1.1

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Robert,

I have had a good think about my issues and I have decided to try going back to version 1.02 with 1.03 upgrade.

Now I have this re-installed I will see if I go back to how things were before the weekend. If I see (with the same application in the editor etc.) that operation 'things' return to the way they were, then surely it must look as if something 'odd' has been introduced ?

I will do my best to keep you informed of anything which looks as if it will be helpful.

Onwards and upwards,
Cheers,
Phil.
Wales, UK.
Chris

new compiler version 1.1

Post by Chris »

Hi Phil,

Yes of course you can help more, as I said please zip and send me your modified project (after you added the code that you mentioned), so that we have a way to reproduce the problem.

About the REF param, you can specify it also in x#, and in my opinion this is the better way to do it, as it makes the code self-explainable. In Karl's sample code:

System.Array.Resize(REF a, a:Length + 3)

Unfortunately vulcan also supported the syntax without the "REF", so we had to allow it also in X#, for backwards compatibility.

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Phil Hepburn

new compiler version 1.1

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Thanks Chris for this information.

On the zip side of things I will do as you ask in the morning ;-0)

I have just been working on my research and test app and have a 'wrapper' class for a 2D .NET System.Array which allows both row and column index value ranges to be virtually anything, and unlimited. This is what I will zip up for you.

Here is some sample test code and results, in case anyone is interested. I will release the Generic code later.
XBasedArrays_11.jpg
XBasedArrays_11.jpg (58.24 KiB) Viewed 375 times
Now then, on the issue of me reverting to version 1.02 and update 1.03, this has been done and now I have tested it for about an hour while developing. There were no issues at all - AND - all the responsiveness has returned to the X# editor - I am getting much more work done now.

I was sorry to be the bringer of 'doom' in reporting this possible issue, but if its not right then its not right. In the sort of words of Don - you know, he used to say "its done when its done!".

Best regards,
Phil.
Chris

new compiler version 1.1

Post by Chris »

Hi Phil,

Absolutely no problem for reporting a problem, on the contrary! Of course we want to know about all existing problems, so we can fix them! So yes, please send me the zipped solution when you get a chance, it will greatly help to find and fix this.

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Phil Hepburn

new compiler version 1.1

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Chris,

here is the zip file - AND - can you ask Robert to allow .RAR files as well ?

I have had to fiddle about while my brain is dead / tired because RAR was not in your Forum list of acceptable file types ;-(

When yo get and compile my sample, you need to run it and then try the editor at different parts of the code - start, middle end, and also comments and not comments.

I can't find a simple way to tell you have to reproduce it exactly - BUT it must have lost me at least 15 % productivity today - while waiting for small lock-ups to clear.

Things are now much better for me in VS 2015 since I went back to 1.02 & 1.03.

Cheers and good luck,
Phil.
Attachments
AddressBookXS.zip
(606.98 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
robert

new compiler version 1.1

Post by robert »

Phil,

RAR, ARJ and 7Z are now allowed as well.
But I am sure that you or someone else will find an extension that is still missing :)

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
Chris

new compiler version 1.1

Post by Chris »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the file! Just a bit more info please, you said that the editor is locking up often, so after just clicking with the mouse in a few places this happens to you? Or do you need to be also typing code to see that? Which .prg file can you reproduce that with?

I do believe you that you are seeing this, as the guys did fix many issues with editor slow downs, but now I don't seem to be able to reproduce such a problem anymore. Just need to find out what you are doing when you get this problem..

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team
chris(at)xsharp.eu
Phil Hepburn

new compiler version 1.1

Post by Phil Hepburn »

Hi Chris,

The short term freezes or lock-ups tend to happen when I move my cursor in the editor with a mouse click. Often (but not always) when I enter a comments area.

As I said, it is difficult to get a 100% method/process to make this happen every time - BUT - try doing a compile and run, and then after completion click the cursor somewhere, once then another place etc. This is the best I can do. But now I have returned to 1.02/1.03 the VS editor seems to skip along quite nicely.

For your interest I now have discovered this error message - I think it was there with the app when I was using 1.1 version.
ErroAtStartUp_01.jpg
ErroAtStartUp_01.jpg (31.27 KiB) Viewed 375 times
Good luck in finding the freezes - the cursor seems to disappear or show as an 'i' beam, and then after nothing showing of the cursor I get the blue round circle for a few seconds.

Good Luck,
Phil.