Problem: VS Integration problem (All about Text Editor)

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
Chris

Post by Chris »

Rene, this is just some bug in the intellisense code in X#, for some reason in your solution folder it does not correctly recognize the (or some of the) functions, so go to definition fails as well. In order to fix it, we (Robert) need a way to reproduce the problem and find what's causing it in your solution and fix it (because of course goto definitions does work in our code).

I understand it's really frustrating working in a huge solution without such features, but reporting the same problem again and again in multiple posts will not help fixing it faster. Also it does not help thinking about SSD drives, reinstalling VS etc. It is just a bug in the X# code and we need to find it, and in order to find it we need some kind of sample, anything that will help reproducing the problem locally, so please do not waste energy elsewhere. Only please try sending a repro sample and if that's difficult, then at least posting a video showing the solution structure etc might help as well.

Edit: Oh, just saw your last post, the info about it working with SELF: but not without it is very helpful. But I just tried it here and it seems to be working both with SELF and without. Which X# version are you using, is it 2.8? If not, please upgrade first and test again. If you are already in 2.8, then again it's some bug which does not manifests in other tests, but it does show up in your solution. It would be really helpful to get some actual code we can try that reproduces this problem..
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team
chris(at)xsharp.eu
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

wriedmann wrote:Hi Rene,
I don't know if that helps: Eizo has a 24" monitor witrh 1920x1920 resolution, it is an exact square.
The model on my desk is FlexScan EV2730Q.
Wolfgang
P.S. I had seen that in a videoconference with another programmer...
I have extra 24" but I work anywhere in the house and I have to work also in isolation in some instances (u know COVID19 is still hot in our country, like India), I need to go places that only laptop is with me. I even plan to buy a portable 15.6" IPS monitor with battery but still, I need to work and still productive on one single screen on my laptop. <g>. I once have multi monitor but it seems counter productive for when I work mostly anywhere. That was before but today, I literally have to work "anywhere in the house".

Ideal to have multiple monitors, with Portrait mode. But, my working style favors nomadic method: Just a laptop. I am looking at 16" Lenovo Legion 5 Pro as my next laptop. It has the same screen ratio of Surface devices and Apple Mac 16". Taller, not wider.
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Chris,

My thoughts are everywhere today. Sorry. I got lost sometimes. Focus on it on the video and to follow is a Solutions that mimic my problem.

So glad, it is not about the new SSD or VS reinstallation which I am open on replacing while it is under warranty or VS reinstallation which I am glad to do as well.

Sorry, if my thoughts spilled all over the place. The video.... wait for it.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Rene,
rjpajaron wrote:Chris,

My thoughts are everywhere today. Sorry. I got lost sometimes. Focus on it on the video and to follow is a Solutions that mimic my problem.

So glad, it is not about the new SSD or VS reinstallation which I am open on replacing while it is under warranty or VS reinstallation which I am glad to do as well.

Sorry, if my thoughts spilled all over the place. The video.... wait for it.
That's OK, but please also answer to my last paragraph which I added later in my previous post, are you using X# 2.8, or maybe you are still in 2.7? This makes a big difference. Also please try creating just as a quick test a small test solution, like a VOMDI sample app, does goto definition work in all cases in it? This will make absolutely sure that the problem is not related to VS itself.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team
chris(at)xsharp.eu
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Hello,

FUNCTIONS, and METHOD CALLS WITHOUT "SELF:"
1. Peek and Go To Definition won't work on Function, even those located on the same project.
2. Peek and Go To Definition won't work on method calls without SELF. SELF:METHODNAME - it works. But METHODNAME only, it won't.

SetBaseYear is a function. I deliberately open and put on the left side of vertical split screen.
On mouse right click on SetBaseYear() and Peek or Go To Definition, it does nothing.

On next one is METHOD GetLicenseInfo()

removing the SELF:, Peek and Go To Definition does not work.

[The extension mp4 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

AND I realized PowerPoint can handle screen recording. Same one, but PowerPoint

[EDIT]
Too big. Here in OneDrive https://1drv.ms/p/s!AogI_dNNs5yUwKB01ZM ... Q?e=NPzGRD
FFF

Post by FFF »

Screentogif.com
Free,easy and works
Result much smaller than any video
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.20, X#2.20.0.3)
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Taking notes. Thanks.
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Rene,
rjpajaron wrote: My frustration on VS Text Editor is an understatement. Sometimes, I want to edit on VS Code instead where it support VO like vertical and horizontal split on the same prg which VS does not support opening the same prg on the same instances of VS.
That is interesting. One of my points on the endless VS frustrations list is that you can't simply set any combination of horizontal and vertical split like in VO (apart from the apparant Goto/peek issues splitting gives for X#) . How difficult can it be? But they did implement that in VS Code? Which makes you wonder why it isn't implemented in VS itself. I think that is again a sample of the fact that Microsoft has small teams for about anything but these teams never communicate, probably the VS team doesn't even know that VS Code actually exists, let alone that they know and talk to the team or coordinate changes.

Is it possible to edit in VS Code and next time continue in VS itself?

Dick
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Text Editor Horizontal Splitter:
1. Upper portion only support Peek, while Go To Definition is disabled.
2. When rolling the splitter down or up and the active split screen (where is mouse cursor at the moment) is the upper portion, Go To Definition remains disabled.
2. Only way to enable Go To Definition is to close the prg file and reopen.

https://1drv.ms/p/s!AogI_dNNs5yUwKB1YfQ ... A?e=72hNjx