X# Installation and Testing

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi XSharp developers team,

How can a discontinued VO 2.6 user like me can install and test X#? I didn't find any sort of quick start user guide on the site for installing and using x# language in Don Net world. Also, I did not find any x# beta 5 version setup exe file download on the site.

I appreciate your instructions regarding above mentioned issue.

DasaAnudas
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi,

I'm not one of the X# developers, but I'm using X# on a regular basis.

There are two different possibilities to get X# now:
- the free program where you can download and use X# freely, using peer support
- the (paid) FoX prgram where you can download and use X#, having support directly from the developers.

Currently, only Beta 1 is available to the public, newer betas until Beta 5b are available only to FoX subscribers.

You can download the Beta 1 installer from the download section and install it - the installer should take care of it. If you don't know Microsoft Visual Studio and don't have installed it, I would recommend to install and use XIDE - it is relatively similar to VO's IDE, so it will be easier for you to get started.
The Beta 1 compiler is using the VO language you know, but is missing some important features likes arrays, floats, codeblocks, and the entire runtime.
To be able to compile your VO code you will have to wait, as the development team currently is implementing VO and Vulcan compatibility using the Vulcan runtime libraries.

But I would recommend to install X# and play with the samples: the .NET world has not only a lot of new language features, but also a very, very large class library.
So porting your VO application to X# will be only the first step - using all the new and great possibilities that the new language and class library offers will be next logical step.

Personally, currently I'm working with X# using XIDE on new applications and implementing extensions to my VO applications using COM libraries written in X#. Most of the time I'm working in VO, as this is my main development tool.

Feel free to ask if you have other questions.

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
robert

Post by robert »

Hi,

I see that Wolfgang has already answered your question.
The one thing that he could not answer was the planned release date for the next public version of XSharp.

This next version is planned around September 15, 2016. This version will be a "Bring Your Own Runtime" version, which means that to be able to run X# in VO and/or Vulcan mode you will have to bring your own version of the Vulcan 3 or Vulcan 4 runtime.
Of course this is a preliminary release date. If you have ever been involved in software development you will know that there might be problems that can delay the release.

The X# runtime for VO and Vulcan is planned a couple of months later.

The version will also come with a tool (the XPorter) that can help you export your VO application to X# and help convert existing Vulcan solutions from Vulcan to X#.

For the Core dialect you will need nothing, except maybe an installation of Visual Studio, but you will also be able to work with X# in XIDE.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
DasaAnudas

Post by DasaAnudas »

Hi Wolfgang,

If you can share the url from where I can download XIDE would be a great help to me... I tried creating a form using X# beta 1 in Visual Studio Community version 2015 but could not find controls like single line edit, buttons etc... Any idea about adding controls to form ...

Thanks and regards

DasaAnudas
DasaAnudas

Post by DasaAnudas »

Hi Robert,

Wish, the best surgeons on this earth could operate human feelings and the best physicians MD on this earth could treat human feelings... And the best software programmers like you and your colleagues could write compilers to understand human feelings...

There are two types of science exist in this universe. Divine science and Material science. All Material science are necessarily based on Divine science. For example human eyes having vision power(material science) can't see without light(Devine science).

Material science are short lived whereas Divine science are long lived. The powers or results returned by Divine science can be carried forward to next human lives whereas returns of material science can not can't be carried forward. For example computer languages like Ada, algol, simla, smalltalk etc. are no more used today as also Microsoft have up on Roslyn.

May God bless you along with all your development team members a grand success, name and fame along with innumerable Fox...

DasaAnudas
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi,

as far as I remember, the XIDE installer was also part of the Beta 1 download.

Unfortunately, currently the XIDE downloads are part of the non-public downloads. I hope the development team moves them over to the public downloads. If not, I'll give you an alternate download source, of course only if Chris Pyrgas, the author of XIDE, permits it.

Wolfgang

P.S. I'm using XIDE because I like it much more than Visual Studio
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi!

XIDE is included in the installation folder of x#, under <Program files>XSharpXIDE. You can just run the installer in this folder (if you have not already done so), better select C:XIDE as installation folder.

When you first run XIDE, create and select a new project, then from the menu Project->Create New->Application and select "Basic x# form application". You can add controls and set their properties from the Toolbox/Properties windows that are normally in the right part of the IDE. You can add new forms in the same or other prg files with Tools|Form Designer. Unfortunately XIDE has no documentation, so if you have any questions, please ask!

Regarding Visual Studio, the first public beta of x# only had a very basic VS 2005 integration. This has been improved A LOT since then in newer XSharp builds, which are available to FOX subscribers (among other things it now has support for the WinForms and WPF designer). Of course this will be available also in the next public version of x#, which as Robert said is planned for this September.

Chris
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu