forum & posting

Have some feedback and input to share?
Don't be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make our site better and more user friendly for our guests and members a like.
FFF

forum & posting

Post by FFF »

Just wrote a new question in a new topic. Somewhat involved, needed time to compose and formulate, meanwhile got disturbed, so i think, it was open about 30 mins.
Finally ready i hit submit - and get an empty input field, all work gone. :evil:
I suspect you lock the file, when one starts composing, and there's some timeout to prevent the forum to be blocked. But the input shouldn't dissappear traceless...
Would be nice, if something could be done about this.
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
ic2

Re: forum & posting

Post by ic2 »

Hello Karl,

I've had that at least twice since the latest changes. Now, before I submit, I select all my text and copy it to the clipboard, to be sure.

Dick
robert

Post by robert »

Dick, Karl,
I'll see if I can change the timeout value for this.
But there is "file lock" involved here. You're editing the message locally and are sending it back to the server.
The edit is done in the memory of the browser.
Most likely the session that you had was expired and after the failed post, your browser reconnected, but the contents of the message was lost.
The current session lifetime for XSharp.eu is 60 minutes. The default is 15 minutes, so I already had changed that.
I am not sure if it is a good idea to make that timeout much longer.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
FFF

Post by FFF »

Robert,
thx for confirming.
No, longer timeout won't help.

As the nuisance is the loss of content, when finally hitting "submit".

Is there any way the browser might "know", how long the session was actice?
Or could the forum software made to write temporary snapshots of the content to the filesystem?
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
robert

Post by robert »

Karl,
Which file system should the message be written to?
- The local file system of your computer? Fortunately that is not possible?
- The file system on the webserver? That is also not possible. Your text is not sent to the server until you press Submit.

The browser could "know" the time passed since logging in. The server will have to clear sessions when they timeout.
Otherwise it would be very easy to crash the server by opening large numbers of sessions and letting them "die".
60 minutes is already very long.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Robert,

I am sure that I didn't have those sessions with lost content open longer than 15 minutes. So there may be another issue causing this.

Dick
ArneOrtlinghaus

Post by ArneOrtlinghaus »

I have lost so often data over the years when entering longer texts into Internet programs, that normally I write longer texts in a local text editor and copy them into the Internet page when nearly finished.

Even with "modern" locally installed programs like Microsoft Teams I have already lost data (surely my own mistake not pressing correctly the "Submit" button). So also here often I create a local text file and start writing with my prefered text editor.

(Now there is a new risk for me: The new Notepad.exe in Windows 11. In general it's not bad with the tab pages and the new outfit. But saving the file and closing the editor does not work as before I did for more than 30 years. So the files remain unsaved unchanged...)

Arne