Windows 11 LAN and DBF Access Very Slow

Public support forum for peer to peer support with related to the Visual Objects and Vulcan.NET products
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

Hi All,

I have clients facing severe slow down issues when the a client computer try to access DBF files on a shared folder on another Windows 11 computer; this a peer-to-peer local lan with 1GB network cards. If the user uses Windows 7 or Windows 10, the users have no noticeable speed issues.
The client computer starts to slow down then it gets slower and slower and it is hard to do anything and the program freezes for as long as 10 minutes.

This is affecting several clients at different locations; Anti-Virus and firewall have been excluded from the culprit causes since they disabled. Different router and cabling has been used but same issue. I am thinking Microsoft changed some networking protocols that's is causing the problem.

Anyone facing such issues or there is there fix to try?

VO 2.8 SP4
Windows 11 Pro or Home.
Latest Windows Updates installed.
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Jamal,

Fortunately none of our clients yet use W11. I find quite some of articles complaining about speed issues. Does the client see speed issues on other programs as well. here's a small list of things to do if that's the case, but most you will already know https://www.ubackup.com/windows-11/wind ... -slow.html.

Next I wonder if you tried, or could try, to use the ADS local version. This may at least be worth a test if you can make some changes.

You can also try, at your exe, Properties, and then select the Compatibility tab to make it W10 compatible.

Dick
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

Hi Dick,

I tried all those options mentioned in the article and other articles on the website, nothing seems to help. It seems one the Windows 11 updates started causing the issues but I am not sure which one.

I tried the Window 8 compatibility (Windows 10 is not a listed option).

[EDIT]
I tried ADS local trial version 12. On the main computer, it is super fast, however, on the client computer it is better than the DBFCDX but still it is lagging a few seconds but acceptable. Actually, when the application was initially opened the DBF access was slow then somehow it got faster! Strange.

Thanks!~
Jamal
Terry

Post by Terry »

Several Clients - Not all Clients then?
Are Drivers up to date?
Terry
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

Not all clients reported the issues for now, but more and more are reporting the issues as time goes on.
Off course, all Windows updates have been installed.
Terry wrote:Several Clients - Not all Clients then?
Are Drivers up to date?
Terry
Terry

Post by Terry »

Windows Updates will not update the drivers.
Drivers are specific to the hardware on your users machines. Users will therefore be affected differently.
Terry
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

Understood, but has been done already!
BTW, Windows 11 Update has optional driver updates under Windows Updates, Advanced Options, then Optional Updates.

Terry wrote:Windows Updates will not update the drivers.
Drivers are specific to the hardware on your users machines. Users will therefore be affected differently.
Terry
Jamal

Post by Jamal »

All,

I have tracked a possible reason of the slow down; I had added a cell blinking feature to certain bBrowser cells to get the effect of blinking text. The dispatch method was refreshing the bBrowser every 700 milliseconds via a timer and this had a very severe effect on the speed. This is actually based on the one of the bBrowser's included samples. So, I suggest no one should use this blinking feature!

When I removed the offending code, the system is performing better.

While investigating the slow down, I found out that the Ethernet Card has a Interrupt Moderation property, and I turned it off and got a boost on the network speed for the clients; and I guess that when this option is enabled and with the huge number of bBrowser refresh calls, Interrupt Moderation was slowing down the interrupts that are generated by incoming network traffic and thus dragging the client speed down.

For now, I'll close the thread.
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Jamal,

That is quite achievement to find this. What brand of Ethernet card did the client have and how did you switch the property off?
Other thing that intrigues me: was it just a new Pc with this "problem" ethernet card or does W11 still play a role?

Dick
Terry

Post by Terry »

Dick
I am very sure W11 still plays a part. It ties in with everything I've read on the subject, albeit from different perspectives.
I won't elaborate here, but will put the arguments in a chit-chat post when I've more time.

Terry