VO GUI Classes to Winforms

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
ArneOrtlinghaus

Post by ArneOrtlinghaus »

We like the idea to transform our program to the Winforms usage inside the VO GUI Classes next year. There is one part that makes us a bit nervous: The substitution of the bbrowser. The bbrowser is one of the most important components in our programs and it is a very complex component. I see some possibilities:
1) Using the BBrowser at the moment with few modifications inside the Winforms-transformed VOGUI-Classes, if it is technically possible. Does somebody knows something?
2) Rewriting the BBrowser to a Winforms component. This seems to be a difficult and cost intensive job. Can somebody imagine to make such a work and can somebody imagine to pay a part for that work?
3) Substitution of the BBrowser by a Winforms component, probably a third party comp from DevExpress, that has received the additional features of the bbrowser. Can somebody imagine to make such a work and can somebody imagine to pay a part for that work?
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Arne,
IMHO the first possibility is the only viable solution.
Maybe you can contact Joachim and ask him about this option?
Technically it should be possible, maybe with the help of Robert and/or Chris.
Wolfgang
P.S. the bBrowser is very important also for me, so I would contribute to the migration costs too
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
FoxProMatt

Post by FoxProMatt »

For us FoxPro guys, what is the bBrowser control? I see a lot of discussion about here in the forums.

It seems to be a UI control...

Can you post a screenshot of it on a form so we can see an example of it?
g.bunzel@domonet.de

Post by g.bunzel@domonet.de »

Hi Matt,

here are some info about bBrowser:
https://www.bbrowser.net/

P.S. the bBrowser is very important for me too, so I would also contribute to the migration costs
OhioJoe

Post by OhioJoe »

The creator of bBrowser should develop it as a Winforms control. For the same reason that Robert and Chris are developing X# as a path for FoxPro migration: Expand the market! (And, along the way, create business opportunities for the rest of us.)

Business owners and managers, i.e. the people who pay us, prefer *mainstream* solutions, which means many hundreds, if not thousands, of users. Wonderful as it is, bBrowser is not mainstream. But it could be.

Just a simple-minded opinion from someone who's used and loved bBrowser since Version 2.
Joe Curran
Ohio USA
ArneOrtlinghaus

I have written an email to support@bbrowser.com. I haven't any other contact info.
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Arne,
this is the address Joachim Bieler is using for all bBrowser related issues.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
ArneOrtlinghaus

Until now I haven't received any reply.
I am interested in another possibility.
Do you think that it is possible to mix old VOGUI-Code and Winforms-Code?
To use the browser as it is and put it onto the new VO Winforms GUI Classes as an intermediate solution and mixing so Winforms/Winapi-Functions?
Could this be something that may need only a more limited amount of changes?
lumberjack

Post by lumberjack »

Hi Arne,
ArneOrtlinghaus wrote: Do you think that it is possible to mix old VOGUI-Code and Winforms-Code?
To use the browser as it is and put it onto the new VO Winforms GUI Classes as an intermediate solution and mixing so Winforms/Winapi-Functions?
Could this be something that may need only a more limited amount of changes?
I think with the VO Windows on Winform as showed in last week's video, this should be a possibility, but I think Joachim will have to answer this...
robert

Post by robert »

Arne,

'Anything is possible' I would say.
We have shown already in the "getting started" example how we can use a Windows form window with an ActiveX and use the ActiveX handling of windows form, and "steal" that ActiveX and use it on a VO window.
In a similar way we can probably create a Windows Forms control that hosts a control that expects to be on a VO GUI window.
I am not sure how much work that will be. We'll have to see.
From what I have seen bBrowser inherits from the VO Custom control class.
I will try to see if I can bring it in the new "managed" class hierarchy and let it inherit from a .Net custom control.
But not now, that is a problem that I intend to fix when the Windows Forms GUI is ready.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu