Modifying raw email on the fly?

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
FFF

Post by FFF »

Musings of a dinosaur...
I use an outdated mailer which i like very much, unfortunately it has some problems with utf encodings...
Now, in front of it for many years works little K9.exe, to filter spam (which, btw, keeps an astonishing rate of 0.03% false positives and 1.4% false negatives, counted for ~ 90k mails). Now i wondered, if i could ad another layer in front, to rewrite at least the subject line, from e.g. "Subject: =?utf-8?Q?W=C3=BCrzige_H=C3=BChnchenpfanne_mit_Kokos_und_Spinat_?= =?utf-8?Q?Rezept_|_Elle_Republic?="

Stupid? Difficult? No vale la pena?
Appreciate your views ;)
Regards
Karl
(on Win8.1/64, Xide32 2.19, X#2.19.0.2.)
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Karl,
this should be no major problem - but how do you like to do it? Change the downloaded mails? Unfortunately I don't know how K9 keeps the mails.
Wolfgang
P.S. I have used many year Pegasus Mail, but had to change it a few years ago for Outlook+Exchange. Until today I feel that my old mailer had many functions I liked and needed that Outlook not has
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello Karl,

We have a full blown e-mail program which was originally based upon the VO sample. Geoff improved many things in the shaky email classes but the huge improvement came when a fully rewritten class was introduced in VO written by Sven Ebert in 2007. Eventually we abandoned VO because of missing functions which we were not prepared to write ourselves and switched to Chilkat which works very well.

We are currently investigating to release our mail program as an X# program which can also be used from VO for general use. Here are some features we have in the program:

- We can modify almost anything (your question). E.g. we sometimes keep a mail but remove the attachments, straight from the program. The source .eml file is modified for that.
- A column for comments can be filled in
- Mails along a network are shared. If multiple people get the same mail as Cc, it will be stored only once in the database but is visible for all people c-ed. Using the comment field one of the users can communicate to others that (s)he took care of the mail
- You can view inbox+outbox in 1 browser, e.g. to follow a thread of replies
- You can open mails in tabs, or in a separate window (also from the tab, or from any other part of your program, just by storing the key to the e-mail record somewhere
- You can create XML files from purchase invoices for electronic invoicing
- You can reply by selecting multiple phrases from a mail (instead of pasting the whole mail at the end). Then the reply contains a phrase in italic blue, your reply on that remark in black, next phrase etc.

...and much more.

Wolfgang, what do you miss in Outlook from Pegasus?

Dick
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Dick,
Wolfgang, what do you miss in Outlook from Pegasus?
generally, Pegasus Mail is much more keyboard oriented, whereas Outlook needs the mouse (some things are nearly impossible to do with the keyboard).
The most missed features are
  • Pegasus Mail can ask you in which folder you would to put your copy of the message (I'm organizing sent and received messages in the same folder, to have them all together)
  • Outlook cannot do a true forward (without modifying the message itself)
  • Pegasus Mail has not only a raw view of the complete message (header and message), available at a keypress, but also a treeview of the message structure (the single MIME parts)
But I would never go back, as I need the integration of multiple PCs and mobile devices for mail, calendar and contacts.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it