Migrating a VFP App for printing labels

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
RGreim4XS

Post by RGreim4XS »

Hi, for a proof of concept I want to migrate my VfFP 9 app to X#.
It’s very simple , based on VPME framework and does a nice job now for a very long time. And it’s a non profit app.
Q1: I don’t want.to make a 1:1 clone, can I use SQLite as a database or something build in X# ?
Q2:How do,I distribute this App. Do I need to pay for runtimes ?
Q3: What do I have to include , if the user wants to change print layout for the Labels ?
Thx
Rainer
kevclark64

Migrating a VFP App for printing labels with an Brother QL label printer

Post by kevclark64 »

Regarding Q3, there's a program called PTouch Editor which lets the user specify label layout for the QL Printers. Using that would be simpler than writing any layout program yourself. You can find instructions for loading the software here: https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answer ... ebsite-for
lumberjack

Post by lumberjack »

Hi Rainer,

Ok, maybe I am not the right person to answer, but here goes:
RRG4XS wrote: Q1: I don’t want.to make a 1:1 clone, can I use SQLite as a database or something build in X# ?
Yes, look at the DbProviderFactories, all ADO.NET drivers inherit from this.
Q2:How do,I distribute this App. Do I need to pay for runtimes ?
No the X# runtimes are royalty free. You might need licenses for the Printer Drivers, but I doubt. Have you had a look if there are .NET drivers for the printer? Otherwise use the build in .NET printer classes.
Q3: What do I have to include , if the user wants to change print layout for the Labels ?
I use the build-in PrintPreviewDialog for all of my application printing. Obviously your distribution, depending the usage of X# assemblies need to be distributed with your application. The standard .NET assemblies should be already on the client machines...

Post by RGreim4XS »

Hi and thx,
Now : its a great piece of software, which an be handled by and enduser, and you can even link data and automation to it.
When I have started this sw many years ago, after evaluting different printers, I have decided to do everything by myself with the vfp report writer, therefore its a bit of abstraction layer. But these printers where so cheap, that we still using them and with the coded labels its not possible to print with wrong label types and sizes
But now its really time to use some parts of buildin tools and drivers and make the real app easier....
Now printing with the sdk works even in a browser and via wlan.

BR Rainer
RGreim4XS

Post by RGreim4XS »

Again many many thx.
DBprovider : yes will look at it
X# Roalty free : great
Also will look on DBProviders. Maybe this give me more ideas. BITV. ( WCAG Level AA) .
Maybe its a good idea to do the input via headset ( Voice recognition) .
Making the same thing again is too easy, as it works and works and works

Thx
Rainer

WCAG ; Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
BITV : Barrierefreie-Informationstechnik-Verordnung (BITV)
RGreim4XS

Post by RGreim4XS »

Hi, I have started reading the docs of X#. Still a cool thing...
Q: What is the „out of the box“ database engine in X#.
In VFP I have DBFs. I learned I can use CoreData and entity classes.
Q: For VFP Im using VPM and VFX as a framework, which supports datadriven apps.
Can I do the same ( ok maybe not multiuser ) with X# or Entity Framework out of the box ?
But : I have also learned for SQLite you have to install something on the client machine, and I want to avoid this, like VFP one exe , some DLLS, finished, even works with copy and paste from a stick

Thx and BR Rainer