Is it possible to have a map of a location on the site?

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
xinjie

Is it possible to have a map of a location on the site?

Post by xinjie »

In the forum I noticed this statistic.

There are already 1979 registered users. They are from different countries. Some of them have clearly marked in their profile which country they are in.

Do we need a map of the world, with some kind of labeling in the map, with the color of the labeling indicating the number of people, or even providing an exact number.

This way, both ourselves and anonymous visiting users can see the size of the community at a glance! And, it would be perfect if we could somehow show the trend of the growing size of the community!

Is this a bad proposal?
简单的东西重复做,你能成为专家;重复的东西用心做,你能成为赢家!
Jamal

Re: Is it possible to have a map of a location on the site?

Post by Jamal »

This might be a privacy issue and may not permitted in some countries without user's permission; but I am not sure 100% about that. The admins of this forum have the final say. Also, it may incur additional costs for geocoding.

Anyway, there is an extension for the phpBB® Forum Software which this site uses that can enable such a request.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2611911
xinjie

Post by xinjie »

Hi, Jamal

The point I was trying to make initially was just at the national level. This should not touch the privacy of individuals.
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Xinjie,
the X# project itself is a truly sample on an internationalized company: the company itself is a Dutch company, two of the team members are Greek, and the 4th is French.
The website itself is running on an Italian server, and I would believe the largest part of the active users are European (including non EU countries like Switzerland and Ucraine). Then there are also many users from North and South America, and also some from Australia. I know also that some users are from Asia.

But you can divide the user community in different layers:
- paying users (aka FoX members). Most of them have software developed in X#
- users that are working actively with X#, regardless if they partecipate in the forum or not
- and users that are only looking if the X# development tool works for them

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
xinjie

Post by xinjie »

HI,wriedmann

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying.

I have recognized what you said before I read this response from you.

I only had this idea based on two considerations:
1 People who visit the site can clearly see how big it is and how it is growing;
2 It allows the viewer to actually decide to learn and use X#, which seems to be a phenomenon explained by social psychology. Although logically programmers are not easily influenced by the behavior of others, who knows if a programmer in the real world really has this psychological quality?

“Give me a place to stand, and I shall move the world!”

I envision this particular map of the world as “a place to stand”. Then, it can be subconsciously and gradually increased to boost the power of X#.

X# can reach an ambitious goal just by covering the cost of making a map.