Job and Employee Scheduler

This forum is meant for questions and discussions about the X# language and tools
jonhn

Job and Employee Scheduler?

Post by jonhn »

Thanks Wolfgang,
Chris showed me how to instantiate a windows.form on my app, which is working but I am always keen to see a sample if possible. I have got the Dbi-tech .Net samples opening and running in VS, but now (very slowly and painfully) converting the C# code and looking for how to use the classes in the new form.
Is there some recommended reading or example in the X# documentation I might have missed?
Jonathan
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi John,

I played a bit with the trial version, but couldn't get it to work properly even in c#, not to mention that it didn't add itself to the VS toolbox, so I can't add it to a X# form. Does the c# sample work fine for you in VS? If yes, then I suggest at least for now, for as long as you are evaluating the control, just keep the control in that VS app and use it from your X# app.

To do that, go to your XIDE app, select Add references, Browse, then navigate to the samples' Bin folder (should be something like Solutions Schedule for .NET (SSNETS)SamplesC#dbiScheduleTimeTypesdbiScheduleTimeTypesbinDebug) after you have compiled it, chose all files (*.*) in the open file dialog and pick all the 3 dlls in there, together with dbiScheduleTimeTypes.exe. Also from the GAC page, add references to System.Drawing and System.Windows.Forms.

Then, anywhere in your app's code (for example in a button click method), add this code:

Code: Select all

LOCAL oForm AS dbiScheduleTimeTypes.Form1
oForm := dbiScheduleTimeTypes.Form1{}
oForm:ShowDialog()
Does the control appear correctly in the form now, from inside tour X# app? If yes, for now just experiment with it (in the c# sample) to see if it suits your needs, of course you can also pass objects/parameters to this c# library from your main app. And if you decide that the control is good enough for your needs, then we will further investigate how to add it to a X# library or your main app directly, instead of using the external c# app for it.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
jonhn

Post by jonhn »

Thanks Chris -
It worked and opens the c# .exe - brilliant, thank you.

In the Dbi sample pack there are 20 different examples, each showing off a particular function of the control. I'll try adding some features to the sample that I compiled and see if I can rebuild it all and test it.
It *was* working, but now when I start it I get a dialog box saying "unable to enter demo mode" invalid access Rights, make sure you are in an elevated environment, so will see what that means.
Thanks for your help.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Jonathan,

Yeah, I see that, too, seems the behavior of that library is really erratic. It seems it helps running VS in administrator mode though.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
jonhn

Post by jonhn »

Yes, OK, I ran VS in Admin mode and the Dbi-tech sample compiles and runs properly without the warning.
Then I realised that the .exe also has to be run in Administrator mode.

Andrej suggested having a closer look at Telerik scheduling and it does look pretty good. Also, he has used bBrowser for this, as Wolfgang suggested so this might still be an option. We are going to discuss this further offline.
Thanks again.
NickFriend

Post by NickFriend »

Hi John,

For less than the price of the DBI Gantt component, you could buy the full suite of NET components from DevExpress. Their Gantt control is very good, the rest of the components are great, and tech support is absolutely first rate. I've been using them for about 10 years and renew gladly every year.

For a job scheduling type scenario, you probably don't need all the detailed resource scheduling features of something like the DBI component (though I think you can handle resources with the DevExpress one if needed).

Nick
jonhn

Post by jonhn »

Thanks Nick,
Yes, the DevExpress suite looks great and might be the one! I'll watch some videos and get the demo and see what happens - thank you for the recommendation.
Jon
jonhn

Job and Employee Scheduler? DevExpress

Post by jonhn »

Hi again -
I've started experimenting with the DevExpress scheduler and it does look good.

I was going to use JSON for the data transfer, but the docs say the schedule can't write back changes to JSON, so I have set up a PostgreSQL database instead which "seems" to connect to the scheduler ok (but none of the appointments show up!)

Before I go further and try to read and write the PostgreS database from my X# app - asking people who are using the DevExpress scheduler - is that the best way? Or is there another way you use, such as in-memory data (a DataSource in the back that I can fill manually from dbf or ini or json etc and then read back from)?
From what I see the scheduler works really well with SQL it is a solid result - (if I can get the data in and out of my X# application that is), but avoiding SQL will make it easier to roll out to customer sites.

Any ideas or suggestions on implementing the DevExpress scheduler with an X#/VO application gladly received!

Thank you.
wriedmann

Post by wriedmann »

Hi Jon,
if the scheduler is a single user application, you could use SQLite. That is easy to deploy.
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Riedmann
Meran, South Tyrol, Italy
wolfgang@riedmann.it
https://www.riedmann.it - https://docs.xsharp.it
jonhn

Post by jonhn »

Thanks Wolfgang! That SQLite is a very nifty database. It says only single user, but it should be ok for 2 or 3 users to refresh the schedule from time to time from it.
Now the question again: Has anyone connected an SQLite database to the Dev express schedule tool? I found the problem of the schedule not displaying appointments with the Postgres database was I had fields mapped that made the result invalid. Just date/time start, date/time end, subject and location field and it is all there.
Thanks.