X# issue fixing versus Microsoft VS issue fixing

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Just to add to this:

The Microsoft How to report a problem page shows a fairly old Help menu. It changed considerably after updating an older VS update on my laptop to 16.11. On that laptop Send feedback showed, also after installing X# which added to Help entries.

Via Tools/Customize, tab Commands, radio button Menu bar, button Add command, select category Help I selected Reset all, no result. In both cases, the option Send feedback shows as present in the preview, but wherever I move it it does not appear in the actual Help menu. If I delete Send feedback completely, I am not able to select it from the Help section in any of the other menu's, it doesn't appear. It only reappears in the preview Help menu after a Reset or Reset All, but still it doesn't show in the actual menu, also not after a VS restart.

Dick
rjpajaron

Post by rjpajaron »

Jamal,

I agree with you here. There are some problems in X# that up bothers me lot:

Windows Editor Properties > Inherit from class. Try now not to pull down the combobox (it is empty). It crashes in my end. It freezes first then boom.

Bad things about this, that sometimes it behaves nicely. Most of all, Inherit from class combobox is empty. So, what I will do is type the name, because sometimes, CTRL + V also triggers a crash. My experience. May not representative of experience of someone else.

When X# developers openly hated VS, how can we expect they can fix the bugs in X# VS integration?

We can hate an app but sometimes, it reflects to so bad to the product that you actually doing.
But X# work so nicely in my end. I love the product. Love you all there X# devs.

Just a thought.

-
Rene
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Rene,

Please rest assured that Robert and Fabrice, the people who are actually working on VS integration for X# do love Visual Studio. It's only myself from the team that does not like it, so there's a good reason I'm not working directly on it :) (well, except for the VO editors, but those are the same from XIDE). It's the same with the people using X#, many like VS, many do not it, and that's only natural I think.

About the problems you have reported on VS, the one about accelerators is already fixed. For the rest, we needed some way to reproduce them in order to fix them, so I asked you here for https://www.xsharp.eu/forum/private-pro ... ered#17823 some more info to help out, but unfortunately you did not reply.

But I gave it a try again, and I think I found how to reproduce the crash with the open "inherit from" property, the crash happens only when you use Alt+tab while this is open right? Previously I was trying to move to another app with the mouse and seems the problem does not happen this way. In any case, now that we have a way to reproduce the problem, it should be fixed for the next build.
Chris Pyrgas

XSharp Development Team test
chris(at)xsharp.eu
robert

Post by robert »

Rene,

The problem that all people supporting software have is that customers report an issue but do not give enough information to reproduce the issue.
We see that and I am sure that Microsoft sees that a lot too.

You already wrote "sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't". Issues like that cannot and will not be solved until
a) we are extremely lucky to find it our selves
b) the customer having the issue reports a clear reproducible example.

But of course you already know that. After all you are developing software yourself.

In the case of the crash in the combobox: Chris was lucky enough to find it himself (case a)).
In the future when you want something fixed it would also help if you provided step by step descriptions on how to reproduce a problem.

If you look at our github issue list you will see that there are actually quite a few people that report issues there with short descriptions that are reproducible. Almost all of these issues get fixed very quickly. Have a look at the issues reported by leonid for example (type leonid in the filter box and you will see that there are 26 closed tickets reported by him).
Sometimes we have discussions there (in the public) and we decide on the resolution of the problem together.

Robert
XSharp Development Team
The Netherlands
robert@xsharp.eu