Seminar - The state of desktop app development in .Net 5

This forum is meant for anything you would like to share with other visitors
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hi Chris,
Chris wrote:Yeah, I was only joking Dick, it's a lot of work and most importantly it's not "nice" work.
You got me there! I

really thought that you would consider it. But I really wouldn't doubt that if you did, your WPF editor, written by you alone in half a year, would be better in every aspect than that of VS written in 10+ years by a whole team.

Dick
ic2

Post by ic2 »

Hello WOlfgang,
wriedmann wrote:Hi Chris,
I mean that the code that the XAML designer writes is unusable.
Too much code, and if you make something wrong, it will not be reversible.
Wolfgang
It's not often that I say this about anything that Microsoft produces, but I don't think the WPF designer adds unnecessary XAML code. Indeed, a small error results in a vanishing design view and many red lines but that's because xaml like C# heavily relies on protocols (e.g. the required semicolons in C#). And yes, it's not really clear, for example if you want to add a certain element which is not allowed within another element. But again, that's because it's xaml.

Dick
Meinhard

Post by Meinhard »

If you honestly plan do that, I would take the XAML/WPF Form designer from the ICSharp project as a starting point.....

Regards
Meinhard
Terry

Post by Terry »

Hello All
Dick – Thanks for link.
Let me say at the outset that I agree with everything said here. It is all factually correct.
The main thrust of this thread is, however, “Windows Desktop Development in Net5” and, presumably, the future.
The fact that WPF appears slow compared to WinForms is simply because it has to do more behind the scenes, as Wolfgang says here, WPF is more flexible and that means more code which in turn means takes longer to execute.
Whether MS has assigned enough resources to WPF is a matter of opinion. Whether WPF needs additional capabilities is again a matter of opinion. There is nothing within the operational logic of a pc that cannot be enhanced in some way.
Having said that, neither MS nor anyone else can implement functionality which the underlying electronics cannot support.
Anyone trying to follow the .Net learning curve, will, depending on background, be embarking upon a long and time-consuming process. Unfortunately, this will incur mental gymnastics across a number of technical disciplines.
The learning curve follows a path which is far from straightforward. For those that are interested, I have attached a short PDF written some time ago for a C# forum, in which I’ve tried to identify the way points along this path.
I hope some will find it useful.
Terry
Attachments
The Importance of Time And Space.pdf
(222.83 KiB) Downloaded 24 times